Saturday, June 13, 2009

Marbles


It was one of those unexpectedly perfect days that that ease into life when you're not looking.

I headed over to the Farmers Market a little later than usual and found some beautiful kale at the Hmong vegetable stand and then headed over to the 'new' Venus for tea, a chat with Dan, and to sit out on Main Street to listen to Marko and write.

For a small time, the corner of Park and Main was the picture of a small, vibrant city - with music, arts, crafts, eager and hopeful vendors, happy customers and browsers moving through the area. The sun was warm, the air was cool, and I was entirely content.

I walked home, packed up my knapsack with water and cd's and headed over to Divide to pick up Jeanne and then down to Melrose to visit a while with the folks from the Big Hole River Foundation. I sat at the river's side chatting with Michelle and Alyse, Hans and Steve, Sheila, Mike, and Corky. We ate bbq venison and drank home-brewed beer and shared stories and jibes, laughter and silence, and I let the sound of the water carry my cares downstream.

At one point, Sheila handed a lovely blue marble to Jeanne and Michelle handed one to me. It's part of a celebration of those who 'live like they love our blue planet'. (you can check it out at bluemarbles.org) Here in Montana, I've been privileged to befriend and work with many who live this way - loving our planet - doing what they can in small and large ways to contribute to the ongoing creation of a better place for us all.

Jeanne and I headed out after a while to visit with Linda at the Wise River Club to set up lunch for an event later this month, and then back to Jeanne's place. It was wonderful to sit with her on the deck, listening to the river rushing by, chatting about this and that. Her husband and son headed off to float down to Melrose - and we declined - not wanting to be caught in the possible rainstorms that were hovering nearby.

This morning, I ran into a friend I hadn't seen in months. When I told her about the busy semester I'd had - the commitments I'd made - I could see the judgement flowing across her face. "I would never take that much on" she said. And I understood. I might have said something similar a few years ago. I would have said it believing that "that much" was somehow separate from me, apart from me. Now, I understand that its all me. Expressing myself.

I can choose to commit to weeks like this past one where I worked most of the day and late into the wee hours of the night/morning - and yet found time to take breaks for chatting with friends, long walks, going out for a beer. I worked because it was interesting - it was fun - it was my way of contributing to my love for this planet ... in the ways that I'm able. Work ... school ... volunteering ... playing ... its all me. I'm not taking on too much ... I'm just living my life.

Sometime in the next day or so, I'll run into the next person who will claim this little blue marble sitting in my pocket. I don't know who's hands it's passed through - or who it will go to - but I know it will be moving among those who truly care. I like being part of that community.

No comments:

Post a Comment